Thomas Keller's Roast Chicken
1 good quality chicken
1 tablespoon good quality Kosher salt, or 3/4 teaspoon fine salt, per pound of chicken, including bone
1. Rinse and dry the chicken. Dry it thoroughly. Rub the salt all over the skin of the bird and inside its cavity. Place on a roasting pan in the refrigerator uncovered. Leave overnight to dry out.
2. Remove chicken from refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to cooking. Preheat oven to 475°F. Let the oven preheat at least 20 minutes!
3. Put the chicken in the oven, close the door, and don't open it for 50 minutes.
4. After 50 minutes, check the bird. You can now baste it with the drippings or stock or butter or olive oil, or sprinkle it with herbs if you like. Depending on the size of the bird, cook for another 5 to 20 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let rest at least 10 minutes before carving and serving.